Travel to Ghana

There really is no ‘best’ time to visit Ghana, as the temperature is always Africa-hot and if rainfall doesn’t soak you, then the humid air will. Whatever the season, the weather gets more arid the farther inland you go. Village-specific festivals and events occur throughout the year.

Ghana drives on the right. International Driving License and Insurance are required of all visitors who wish to drive in Ghana. All Vehicles driven across the borders must have special permit.

When in Ghana, bottled water is recommended as a source of drinking water.

It is easy for a tourist to obtain a mobile phone chip from any of the many mobile phone vendors around the city if you wish to use a local network to make international and domestic calls. Just look out for branded umbrellas emblazoned with the names of the various mobile phone providers: MTN, Airtel, Expresso, Glo, Tigo and Vodafone. Public telephone booths are not common in Ghana. You can make international calls from most major hotels.



A travelling passport and a visa are required to enter Ghana. All visitors to Ghana must possess valid passports issued by their home governments, except nationals of member states of the ECOWAS who may produce travel certificates in lieu of passports. All non-ECOWAS citizens require visas at a fee before entry.

Ghana Missions and Embassies abroad are authorized to issue visas or entry permits to all persons who want to enter Ghana. In a country where no Ghanaian mission has been established, the visitors may apply directly or through his/her Ghanaian partner at least two weeks prior the visit from Ghana Investment Promotion Centre.


Yellow fever vaccination is required by all travelling to Ghana except children under 1 year. Precaution against Malaria, cholera and typhoid is highly recommended.

Although the HIV/AIDS rate is lower than other sub-Saharan Africa countries, visitors must maintain and take extreme caution.



The VAT (Value Added Tax) is deducted from all purchases. In Ghana it is 15%. A visitor or a customer should always ask to see a vendor’s VAT certificate to be sure the vendor is eligible to charge VAT.



Foreign currency can be exchanged at any forex bureau in the country. There are several foreign exchange bureaus (Forex) in all the major towns and cities, but many outside the regional capitals may not accept traveler’s cheques except the banks.


CREDIT CARDS: Some hotels and restaurants accept major international credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard and American Express

Banks open from 8.30am to 4.30pm on weekdays and 8:30 12:00pm on Saturdays; this may vary from bank to bank. Most banks operate Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) for cash advances withdrawals. The most accepted cards are VISA and MasterCard.